Support Uptown during SIM Construction
AS SEEN IN THE RED ROCK NEWS
April 5, 2019
The long discussed and anticipated Sedona in Motion construction project are finally upon us, and the improvements to 89A will transform Uptown over the next nine months, starting in June. From the base of Oak Creek Canyon to Forest Road, an extra southbound lane and roundabouts at Art Barn and Jordan roads will improve traffic flow, while a tastefully-designed center median will eliminate mid-block jaywalking and left turns.
Significant disruption is unavoidable during construction; however, at the Chamber, we are moving into high gear to help Uptown businesses prosper during the transition and benefit from these significant upgrades.
Community support will be critical. I strongly encourage Sedonans to make a point of supporting Uptown businesses during construction – and have patience with delays or detours.
If you’re a business owner that may be impacted by construction projects, our Construction Support Guide is ready to go with advice, practical support and creative ideas to help your business adapt.
In partnership with the City of Sedona, the Guide is available free at SedonaChamber.com/SIM, and Sedona Rangers will happily deliver hard copies to your business by request.
Some of the tips you’ll find:
• Keeping your staffing lean
• Securing a line of credit
• Informing customers in advance
• Developing a ‘script’ so your staff delivers a consistent message to customers
• Gathering customer contact information
• Integrating email and social media to reach customers creatively
• Partnering on marketing with neighboring businesses
• Staying in touch with construction managers
• Making sure construction signage is clear and correct
• Adjusting Inventory
• Extending business hours
• Opening alternative entrance/exits
We are also mobilizing Chamber resources to help you keep your customers motivated. Free support for Chamber partners includes:
• Offering ‘construction discount’ coupons on the Chamber’s website
• Benefiting from our 230,000-strong social media fan base as we boost businesses during construction
• Including your business in our Local e-News sent weekly to 3,000 residents
• Accessing one-on-one advisors
• Submitting a blog post for sedonachamber.com or visitsedona.com
• Purchasing mailing labels for all Chamber partners to keep everyone informed that you are open for business
• Distributing your brochure at the Visitor Center (also available to non-partners for a fee)
Find out more about maximizing your Chamber membership at sedonachamber.com/tools-tips-how-to/.
The Construction Support Guide has other helpful resources such as online community calendars, advertising ideas and City of Sedona updates.
With ADOT repairs on State Route 89A through Oak Creek Canyon also scheduled for this summer, a stressful period lies ahead. With creativity and communication plus lots of support from residents, the City and the Chamber, our Uptown businesses will thrive during construction and prosper from much-improved traffic and pedestrian flows. Let’s work together to make it happen!
Jennifer Wesselhoff, President/CEO